Billy Grind is administrator for a server named CONTOSOFILE01. Billy wants to get a e-mail if something happens with CONTOSOFILE01. This short instruction is based on a working MOM installation and that SMTP is already setup and working.
First we need to add Billy as a operator, we can do that under “Nofification” in Administrator Console
1. Right-click “Operators” and choose “Create Operator…”
2. Operator Properties – General” tab, input name of the operator, then click next
3. Operator Properties – Email, Mark “Email this operator”, input the operator e-mail , then click next
4. Operators Properties – Page, click next
5. Operators Properties – Command, click finish
Then we need to create a notification group where the new operator will be member
1. Right-click “Notification Groups” and choose “Create Notification Group…”
2. Input a name, for example fileserver administrators
3. Mark the operator you just created, and click left arrow, click finish
Then we need to create a new computer group where CONTOSOFILE will be member and a rule that will send e-mail to Billy Grind
1. First create a new computer group and include CONTOSOFILE01
2. Then create a new rule group
3. Right-click the new rule group, choose “Associate with Computer Group…” choose the computer you just created, then close that window
4. Right-click “Alert Rules” and choose “Create alert rule…”
5. Alert Rule Properties – Alert Criteria”, click next (there will be no criterias)
6. Alert Rule Properties – Schedule, click next7. Alert Rule Properties – Responses, choose add and then “Send a notification to a Notification group”, choose you new operators group and then click OK
8. Alert Rule Properties – Responses, click next
9. Alert Rule Properties – Knowledge Base, click next
10. Alert Rule Properties – General, input a name for your new rule, verify that “This rule is enable” is marked, then click finish.
Ok, now it’s done. Note that it can take some minutes before the new rule is active.
If you want to setup more criteria for e-mail notification I recommend you to install Notification Workflow. Another thing to thing about is which e-mail server you are running MOM alerts on, what happens if that mailserver goes offline? It could be a good ideas to install a extra SMTP server for MOM.