Quite often someone in the Service Manager forum ask how to ask really quick and simple questions. They think that it is to many clicks to use the default incident form or incident process. In this blog post I will show you a solution to that, a way to create a new type of work items simple.
- Open the Service Manager Authoring Tool
- Click File>New
- Input a name, for example Contoso.QuickCalls
- In your new management pack, right-click classes and select Create Work Item Class…
- In the Create class window, input Contoso.QuickCall
- In the Class properties window, delete the default Property_10
- Click Create property and add a property named ClassificationCategory
- In the details pane of ClassificationCategory select Incident Classification as List Type (from the Incident Management Library management pack)
- In management pack explorer, right-click Form and select Create
- In the base class window, select Contoso.QuickCall
- In the Create Form window, input Contoso.QuickCall.Form as internal name
- On the form drag and drop the following items,
- Verify that you have a user picker, a textbox and a list picker and a couple of labels
- In the details field of each object configure the binding path according to
- User picker – Affected User
- Text box – Description
- List Picker – ClassificationCategory
- On your list picker configure List Type to Incident Classification (Incident Management Library)
- Save you new management pack and import it into Service Manager
There are no views to show your new work item class so we need to create a view targeting the new class, and then we will also get a Create task for this work item class.
- After import of the management pack, navigate to work items
- Select Work Items and Incident Management in the navigation pane and select create view from the task pane
- In the Create View wizard input
- Name: Contoso – Quick Calls
- Management Pack: Contoso.QuickCalls
- Search for objects of a specific class: Contoso.QuickCall
- Display: Create Date, Display Name, ID, Time Added
- Click OK to save your new view
Now to create a quick call select the new view, then click Create Contoso.QuickCall from the tasks pane.
Thats it! Now you have a new work item class named Contoso.QuickCall, it takes very new clicks to register a call like this.