With default settings you can report incident with the self-service portal in Service Manager. But the form is generic, and often you want to customize it. For example if someone reports a issue with e-mail you might want them to submit some e-mail specific details like Outlook version and location. I was looking into this last week and want to share with you some ideas. We can publish incident templates in the self-service portal the same way we can do with service request. They are both published as request offerings. When we configure a request offering we setup a number of user inputs. We can do this with a incident template too, but there are not many suitable fields on a incident to store custom data, like Outlook version. Instead we can create activities on a incident template and on each of them store data, but out of the box we have only the manual activity to use, and lets say we want to store five custom fields, we don’t want to use five manual activities in the incident template. Instead we can create a new activity class, that includes for example five generic fields. To do that we need to start in the Service Manager Authoring Tool
- Start Service Manager Authoring Tool
- Create a new Management Pack, for example ContosoManualActivity
- Right-click Classes and select Create Other Class
- Base Class, select Manual Activity as base class
- Create Class, input Contoso.Manual.Activity as internal name
- Delete the default property named something like Property_XX
- Click Create property, input internal name, for example text01
- Click Create property, input internal name, for example text02
- Click Create property, input internal name, for example text03
- Click Create property, input internal name, for example text04
- Click Create property, input internal name, for example text05
- Save the management pack
- Seal the management pack, more info how to seal a management pack and generate a key file here
- Start the Service Manager Console, import the seal management pack (mp file)
- Restart the Service Manager console to reload class structure
- In the Service Manager console navigate to Library/Templates
- Click Create Template in the Tasks pane
- Create Template, input a name, for example Contoso – Template – Manual Activity. Select the Contoso.Manual.Activity class (under basic classes). Create a new management pack named for example Contoso Activity where you store the template
- Manual Activity Template, input a title, for example Contoso – Manual Activity. Click OK
- Click Create Template again
- Create Template, input a name, for example Contoso – Template – Mail Incident. Select Incident as class and select the same management pack as before
- Incident Template, configure classification category, source, impact, urgency
- Click on the Activities tab
- Click Add…
- Select a class, select Contoso.Manual.Activity and click OK
- Select Template, select Contoso – Template – Manual Activity
- Click OK
- Click OK to close the Incident Template form
- Time to publish this as a Request Offering. Navigate to Library/Service Catalog/Request Offerings, click Create Request Offering from the Tasks Pane
- Create Request Offering, General,
- input title Exchange Issue
- Template name, Contoso – Template – Mail Incident
- Create Request Offering, User Prompt. Note that we use only strings here. You could configure your management pack properties to be true/false or any other data type. You can then also use the same data type in Service Manager user input, for example let the user select Outlook and Windows version from a drop down menu.
- Create Request Offering, Map Prompts,
- Create Request Offering, Publish. Change Offering Status to Published. Finish the wizard
- Create a new Service Offering, named for example Incident, and include the request offering you just created. Don´t forget to change the service offering status to Published.
- Browse to the self-service portal now
If the user then submits the incident you can see all the custom data under the activities tab. As we added the text fields to the new activity class. That is not optimal to have it there, as it will require some extra clicks to show it.
You can of course solve this with Orchestrator 🙂 I have create a simple runbook that picks up the incident and merge the User Input data with the Description field. The User Input field is a default field on a incident that contains all the data we added to the custom text fields on the activity. You could trigger this runbook automatically when a new incident of this type is created. One thing to think about is that you want to merge the User Input data with the already existing Description field, make sure not to overwrite it. As you can see in the last image we also get the XML code from User Input. I did not create a runbook to clean that, but you could of course do that with a runbook too, to only keep the user input text.
The result, you can use custom input fields, different for different type of incident, to let user report incident with the self-service portal.
As usual thanks to Patrik for Service Manager authoring support
Please note that this is provided “as is” with no warranties at all.
You do a Query based list to show something from the CMDB as a drop down in the self-service portal. Is that what you need to do ?
Do you know if its possible to display a list of the Business Services within SCSM in the SCSM Portal? I know its probably possible but a quick and easy method that someone has already done is always preferable :D:D
When configure user input you can configure one as attached file. Then you can choose to attach the attachment to the incident.
If I want user to attach some files into the incident what property type should I use in managemet pack?
Hi, thanks for reading my blog. So what requirements do you have? If a user should be enable to reset own password I guess we cant use the portal, as they cant logon to it, same with E-mail.
Thanks a lot for your posts. they are really helpful.
Can you please give me pointers on how i can have a password reset service offering in scsm 2012. The one with the manager is rather not the exact scenario i have but an end use shld be able to rest their password by themselves. I have come across a webpart but thats not what i would prefer.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Dynamic wizards are not included by default. That you have to build on your own. Maybe you could get some help from a SharePoint forum to do that.
Hi Guido !
This is nice sharing but i have one question to you, suppose i have one drop down list urgency, when i select High from urgency drop down, the message under the drop down list should be displayed – Time resolution – 5 hours if i select medium from urgency drop down list, the message under the drop down list should be displayed – Time resolution – 10 hours ……
how could i do ?
please help me.
Hi, thanks for reading my blog. Could you explain a bit more what you want to use the masterdata table to? I am not sure I understand what that table is. Thanks
Hi Anders Bengtsson,
Do you have any idea if a standard customer masterdata table will be part of the SCSM datawarehouse roadmap?
Are you on Service Manager 2010 or 2012? In 2012 you have cubes that includes all the properties you have in the console, so you can filter on both affected user and company.
Dear SCSM people,
How to add a company dimension/view in the standard reports?
I would like to use the SCSM standard incident management reports by company.
Unfortanetly the standard reports does not contain the possibility to create a view per company. The company field is part of the affected user table.
I’m wondering if there is an example how to customize the reports to include the company field? Any suggestions?
In my opinion a solution can be setting up a master data table with company information and connect this table to the user table.
At the end this must be integrated and customized in the datawarehouse too.
Looking forward to discuss this further!
Thanks in advance.
Hi, tell me more about your scenario and I will see what I can find
Hi Anders, Just wondering if you have ever worked with the “Upload Attachment” activity in the Service Manager IP? I cannot get it to work and the documentation seems a bit flaky…