This short article will show you how to populate a group in Ops Mgr 2007 based on a OU in your Active Directory.
- Start the console and click Authoring, then right-click Groups and choose to create a new group
- Create Group Wizard – General Properties: Input a name and description for your group, also choose a management pack to store the group in, click Next
- Create Group Wizard – Explicit Members: Click next
- Create Group Wizard – Dynamic Members: Click Create/Edit Rules…
- Create Group Wizard – Query Builder: Choose Windows Computer from the class drop down menu, click Add. Then choose Organizational Unit from the property drop down menu. In the Operator colum choose “Matches wildcard” and then inbut a OU in the Value column, for example OU=Domain Controllers,DC=contoso,DC=internal , click OK
- Create Group Wizard – Dynamic Members: click next
- Create Group Wizard – Subgroups, click Next
- Create Group Wizard – Excluded Members, click create
Please not that it will not include machines in child OU. You can right-click your new group, under groups in the console, and choose “View group members” to verify your group members. If you dont know the name of your OU or how to input your OU name you can look under Monitoring, Computers, click on a computer and look in the detail view.